Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: feather mites

feather mites 5 months 3 weeks ago #18858

• Okiebantams
  • Gold Boarder
Shane I had a similar problem on some crele a few years back and I kinda thought it was a moisture issue because it was a unusually hot and dry summer and the casing seemed too dried out and hard. Just a guess on my part though
The administrator has disabled public write access.

feather mites 5 months 3 weeks ago #18859

• Shanesbantams
  • Expert Boarder
Once it above the blood it's dry and crusty but the feathers have missing places in them. We've had a lot of rain and humidity and I've dipped or seven dusted my birds every weekend for the last 6 weeks. I don't know what's wrong but I'm disgusted. I've had a little problems with this the past couple years but it's worse this year.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Shanesbantams.

feather mites 5 months 3 weeks ago #18860

• Okiebantams
  • Gold Boarder
I see. Yes it sounds like you have something else going on then what I had and if you been doing all that to them then its not moisture thats for sure

feather mites 5 months 3 weeks ago #18861

• Clink
  • Gold Boarder
I hope you figure it out Shane. Is there anyway you can get someone to look at a feather under a microscope? If you think it's critters, hit 'em with fipronil, it'll kill 'em

feather mites 5 months 3 weeks ago #18862

• Shanesbantams
  • Expert Boarder
How old do y'all let your birds get before you put frontline on them?

feather mites 5 months 3 weeks ago #18863

• Clink
  • Gold Boarder
Take it for what it is, I needed to know if it was ok, so I sprayed some young culls and they didn't get sick or die, I guess the birds were from 2-3 months old. When they are starting on there last set of feathers, I've been spraying 'em just incase

feather mites 5 months 3 weeks ago #18864

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
Shane, I have seen feathers like you describe on my birds in the past. I only saw it on the males and it seems as though the feather sheath extends out too far and is very thick. It is so thick that the feather cannot break out except at the very end. I don't know what causes this but I don't think that its insects. If you are dipping as you say you shouldn't have a mite problem. I don't know if its diet or genetics but it can ruin a great bird for show. You might try clipping the feather about an inch from the skin, wait until it dries out completely, then pulling it out. This will start a new feather growing. You might be able to save a show bird this way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clink
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds