Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: bird brain Ideas

Re: bird brain Ideas 4 years 3 months ago #10601

• Tim_Neves
  • Senior Boarder
here its a fox.. my dogs and donkey keep everything away but that fox gets in..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: bird brain Ideas 4 years 3 months ago #10602

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
robjesup88 wrote:
In my area i can't use 2x2 wire. The largest mesh i can safely use is 1x1. I have never had a problem with predation from digging, only with them pulling through the wire.

All of my outside pens are the 1x2 welded wire but at the bottom all around the cage I put 1 foot of 1/2 x 1 inch wire to keep them from sticking their heads out and getting them bit off. Raccoon are the biggest culprits here.
Bill

Re: bird brain Ideas 4 years 3 months ago #10603

• robjesup88
  • Expert Boarder
Bill wrote:
robjesup88 wrote:
In my area i can't use 2x2 wire. The largest mesh i can safely use is 1x1. I have never had a problem with predation from digging, only with them pulling through the wire.

All of my outside pens are the 1x2 welded wire but at the bottom all around the cage I put 1 foot of 1/2 x 1 inch wire to keep them from sticking their heads out and getting them bit off. Raccoon are the biggest culprits here.
Bill

The three culprits that i have problems with are Raccoons,Oppossums,and Red Tail Hawks.... If they can stick their heads out they are doomed! I had a fly pen that i thought i had secure... But Mr Red Tail Hawk had the courtesy of showing me a spot up high at the roost that i overlooked...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim_Neves

Re: bird brain Ideas 4 years 3 months ago #10604

• Tim_Neves
  • Senior Boarder
I feed the crows so Hawks are not to bad only for my homing pigeons.. Dont have a problem with raccoons or possums here at my place.. Rick Riggs taught me how to fortify your chicken yard with hot wire.. He used 1.5 inch pvc 4ft tall put in ground a foot and 6ft appart. start drill holes enough for hot wire start 2 inches off the ground then 4-6 inches apart after that till top of pvc. run hot wire through that and be sure to have a gate.. that will take care of snakes, raccoon's, possums and creeping things. Wont help with the hawks unless u have crows... Since I ran the hotwire as long as I remember to keep it on I have not had a problem even with the fox but I would still make sure ur pens are varmint proof just to be safe..
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Tim_Neves.

Re: bird brain Ideas 4 years 3 months ago #10605

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
Great photo presentation Tim! I like the idea of a hot wire too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim_Neves
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds