Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Automatic Watering Systems

Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8055

• SEBantams
  • Junior Boarder
I have been thinking about building an automatic watering system for my coops. Does anyone else use an auto water system? Pros? Cons? Ideas? Opinions? I believe this would be a better way of keep clean water in front of the birds at all times. Also, it would be better than filling and cleaning water cups in each pen. Water cups get nasty from the birds scratching around. It is difficult to get birds to use water nipples if they are used to drinking out of a water dish?

Seth
Seth & Eli Smith

S&E Bantams
Seth & Eli Smith
Braymer, MO
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8067

• Blood54
  • Expert Boarder
I have been looking at the GQF auto water system. The floats in the water system look just like the floats in the auto water system in the incubators. If a person could find these in bulk the auto water system could be built with very little cost. A float and a pvc pipe cut in half and some clear plastic line is all you need. Anyone know where you can find the floats in bulk?
Ronnie Youngblood

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8069

• Blood54
  • Expert Boarder
Found some float valves at Amazon for 7-8 dollars.
Ronnie Youngblood

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8071

• Electrichicken
I would worry about cross contamination with a split PVC, but sounds like it would work.

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8072

• Bryant
  • Platinum Boarder
We have nipple drinkers on all the ground pens. Raised 3x3 pens, we have the little orange drinking cups about the size of a half dollar. Both systems work great! Be careful because most systems work off lower pressure than we have on our house or barn. On the 3x3 pens we have an elevated 5 gallon bucket with a lid working 12 cups. The nibble drinkers have elevated, lack of better wording, miniature plastic commode tanks. The pressure input to these can be about 20 lbs. Both systems are designed work work on about 2 pounds pressure at the drinkers. Good rule of thumb - 2 feet of elevation equals about 1 pound of pressure. All this sounds hard to install be is very easy if you have any plumbing skills. Just takes a little time to install but is worth hours upon hours saved down the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dhw

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8074

• SEBantams
  • Junior Boarder
Bryant, your system sounds like the water system I was envisioning. I would run 11 pens off of one raised 5 gallon bucket and would run a 3/4 PVC pipe down through the pens with a water nipple in each pen. Our pens also run downhill so I thought the water pressure would be alright. Does there need to be a certain level of water pressure for the water nipples to work or would gravity be enough? Would the pipes have a problem with algae build up over the course of the summer? On the downhill side, I would have a shut off so the pipes can be drained when needed. For our large pens, I would suspend a 5 gallon bucket with 2-3 water nipples in the bottom.

Seth
Seth & Eli Smith

S&E Bantams
Seth & Eli Smith
Braymer, MO
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by SEBantams.

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8077

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
Ronnie get on e bay for the cups or nipples the pipes and fittings you should be able to get at lowes or home depot walmart has some sprinkler supplies .that you might be able to adapt also putting this togather should be a snap

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8078

• Blood54
  • Expert Boarder
I had looked at the nipple but they cause wet spots in the floor. The nipples looked great pens on the ground. I also looked at the small cups Bryant was talking about. Go to gqfmfg.com and search 4317 and you will see the auto water trough I am talking about.
Ronnie Youngblood

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8080

• Bryant
  • Platinum Boarder
First the optimal pressure for these systems is about two pounds. They will work great a little lower or a little higher. DO NOT hit them with a 100 lbs pressure from a public supply. A brass regulator that will drop the public supply down to 20 lbs cost about $25. That means the supply tank is working at 20 lbs and my nipple drinkers are working at 2 lbs. I have a five foot drop from the supply tank to the nipples. I have two 60 foot runs working all my breeder pens. Both systems have minor issues. The nipple drinkers will drip if the bird does not catch the next available drop of water. The small cups will catch dust and saw dust. I just stick my finger in them and clean them out when needed which is seldom. Put an end drain at the end of any system that can possibly freeze. I have found that I'm good down to 25 degrees, below that I drain the system. The nice parts; I never have to water my birds. Both systems allow you to add vitamins, red cell or vinegar to all your birds at one time.

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 8 months ago #8081

• Bryant
  • Platinum Boarder
I forgot to mention my brooders. I have the little orange cups in all my brooders also. NOTE: bantam chicks have to be a month old before they are strong enough to peck the valve and add water to the cup. I supplement the brooder with a quart jar waterer until they get a month old then remove it. I purchase the little orange cups off ebay and the nipple drinkers from a commercial poultry supply house. The nipples come in 10' sticks with 10 nipples to a stick. I just saw the sections up and space them as far apart as I want to. The only issue I have is the 5/16 tubing for the cup drinkers is hard to find on local supply. I use the soft clear vinyl kind. It seems they stock every size except 5/16. You can even get your wife to feed the chickens but nobody wants to water them. LOL
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds