Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Automatic Watering Systems

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 6 months ago #8129

• Bryant
  • Platinum Boarder
The nipples I use are composed of a twist in plastic housing with a stainless steel ball and stainless nipple. When the bird pecks at the nipple a drop of water is suspended on the nipple for the bird to get. The key word here is suspended. If the bird walks away then yes that drop can/will hit the ground. My breeder pens are 8x8 with 7 to 20 birds in the pen. It is not unusual for there to be a small damp spot under the nipple, especially if 20 birds are at work on the nipple. These are the same nipples used in the commercial poultry houses. There are nipple drinkers with catch cups underneath the nipple. I took the time to go to the commercial poultry houses and see what they used. The point is the time saved, I can tell you for a fact if we didn't have the watering systems, there is no way we'd attempt to hatch and raise 500 or more birds a year.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dhw

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 6 months ago #8130

• Blood54
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the info Bryant. I can make up my mind on how to set it up.
Ronnie Youngblood
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Blood54.

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 6 months ago #8131

• NorTexFF
  • Expert Boarder
How would this work with pex pipe (the no freeze plastic pipe)??? I may have to order some of the cups and try to make it work. I had thought about running a separate water line to this type of set up but I didn't know how to regulate the water pressure down to the recommended lb.

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 6 months ago #8132

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Years ago, many many in fact, I had a few pens lined up with a pvc pipe going through the entire length of the cages. Had nipples in the pipe for the birds to drink. I had it mounted just over there heads where the head would be tilted up when they pedk it. It worked fine butpretty much a small wet spot was constantly under the nipple. That wasn't that big a deal. I did not have it plumbed up to presurized water. It was plumbed into a 5 gallon bucket the was mounted on top the cage and just gravity fed. I liked this as I was able to add what ever I wanted to into the bucket. Wormer, red cell, vitamins, medications or what ever I wanted to mix in the water.

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 6 months ago #8134

• Bryant
  • Platinum Boarder
Before anyone asks the question I'll answer it. You can use a float valve and connect it inside your 5 gallon bucket. I'd put a regulator on the supply side if it were me. You could use one of the Ludwig tanks also. Either way your system would be totally automatic.

There you go Brad, design us a freeze proof system.

Kjundog is correct, mount the nipples at about birds eye level if possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dhw

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 6 months ago #8137

• 911randal
  • Gold Boarder
You can also use a toilet valve in the bucket and it can used under normal water pressure. Run a supply line to it when the level drops it will automatically refill. My intentions are to set up my system in my new barn. with a 55 gallon drum elevated to about 12'. At least that's my plan.
Randal Hodges
County Line Bantams (Glen St. Mary, FL)
Breeder of Blue Wheaten,Birchen and Buff Old English Game Bantams

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 6 months ago #8138

• Ricky Griffin
  • Senior Boarder
I am more worried more about lines heating up these 100 degree days in Texas,be like giving them boiling water...
Ricky Griffin
Trenton,TX
972-533-1873
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Ricky Griffin.

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 6 months ago #8147

• Blood54
  • Expert Boarder
Throw a some ice in the bucket once a day.
Ronnie Youngblood

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 5 months ago #8344

• Electrichicken
I got my automatic watering cups installed. There are a few things i don't like and one is training them to use them. I should have waited until breeding season was over because it stopped most of them from laying due to no water during the day. I keep filling them myself for the first couple of days and then they seemed to get the hang of it. The other thing was the saw dust and other debri getting into the cups can cause them to overflow and empty my water container (5 gallon bucket). I think after a little tweeks here and there I am going to like them. I would have gone with the nipples but I didn't like the idea of my wood floors getting soaked all the time and rotting. I like the ability to add my Breeder Solution to the 5 gallon bucket and know that all the birds are getting the mixture. I may need to add an additional bucket or larger container when the weather get warmer. I think it will be well worth the investment come summer time.

Re: Automatic Watering Systems 4 years 5 months ago #8378

• Bryant
  • Platinum Boarder
Electrichicken wrote:
I got my automatic watering cups installed. There are a few things i don't like and one is training them to use them. I should have waited until breeding season was over because it stopped most of them from laying due to no water during the day. I keep filling them myself for the first couple of days and then they seemed to get the hang of it. The other thing was the saw dust and other debri getting into the cups can cause them to overflow and empty my water container (5 gallon bucket). I think after a little tweeks here and there I am going to like them. I would have gone with the nipples but I didn't like the idea of my wood floors getting soaked all the time and rotting. I like the ability to add my Breeder Solution to the 5 gallon bucket and know that all the birds are getting the mixture. I may need to add an additional bucket or larger container when the weather get warmer. I think it will be well worth the investment come summer time.

Did you mount your cups about top of birds back high?
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds