Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hatching Season is upon Us!

Hatching Season is upon Us! 2 years 1 month ago #16479

• scratch
  • Platinum Boarder
OK guys its time to get those male lines going. What steps do you all take to get started. I have some 2X2 and 3X3 pens that I will single up some birds. Put the lights on and get them started on some breeder solution and laying pellets. My problem is with the lights on 14 - 16 hours a day. if the weather is 20 degrees its still 20 degrees in my barn. Anyone put out heaters?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hatching Season is upon Us! 2 years 1 month ago #16481

• okie1
  • Gold Boarder
Ernie, I am just now turning the lights on my male line breeders also. What I do is start them out on 12 hours of light and increase gradually up to about 14. As far as heat, the only thing I do is, if it gets really cold say, 10* to 15* all I do is maybe put on some heat lamps to keep the water from freezing. I would love to hear some other comments on the subject also.. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scratch

Hatching Season is upon Us! 2 years 1 month ago #16484

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
I live in SC and usually don't put lights on the birds until the first week in January and I begin getting eggs toward the end of the month. I usually set the light to 12-14 hours to bring the birds into breeding condition. The Cocks go in the pen first since they require a little more time to get them ready. The hens go in a week later. I turn my lights on in the early morning and leave them on until about 10am then let natural light take care of the rest. My breeding pens are really boxes with wire on the front and I cover this front with plastic except for the door. The 40 watt bulb puts out some heat in the pen and my water usually doesn't freeze.

Hatching Season is upon Us! 2 years 1 month ago #16485

• henpect
I've had lights on birds for a few weeks now and I set my first batch of eggs last weekend. I usually don't have alot of problem with cold weather. It has been in the upper 70s with lows in the upper 50s the last couple weeks here and the birds have been loving it. Hopefully it won't turn off too cold and the birds will really start laying well.

Hatching Season is upon Us! 2 years 1 month ago #16488

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a few Columbian and Birchen eggs in the incubator now. But really only to do a test hatch and see how the incubator is set before I start getting a higher volume and setting large batches. I would prefer to ruin a couple small batches now and tweak the settings so it is ready for the larger settings later.

Hatching Season is upon Us! 2 years 4 weeks ago #16504

• Bluebantam4
  • Expert Boarder
Sounds like a lot of you are already standing on the gas. But it is time, male line Breeders need to be getting acquainted for sure. The fall season tempertures have such a bearing on those birds staying together or not. We had a warm fall in my area and several finished, January hatch males started dropping tail feathers in mid November. Mother Nature is such a factor. Way bigger than most realize. Maybe an old refrigerator in the chicken barn equipped with roost poles and a light switch might keep um cool till show time. Get them chicks out guys, only 50 weeks till Knoxville.

Hatching Season is upon Us! 2 years 4 weeks ago #16506

• Roy Stacy
  • Expert Boarder
Fellows I have tried the lights , but it Don,t seem to be an advantage where I live. It is hard to keep them alive when the weather is 25 to 30 below zero and the eggs freeze before you can get them, and the roosters Don,t seem to be to friskie when it is that cold. Last winter some even froze there toes solid. If I do manage to hatch a few in January they are dropping feathers during fall season. I don,t have heated buildings, and is better for me to just let Mother Nature take her course. Hope all you have a good hatching season.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds