Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: LIGHTS!

LIGHTS! 1 year 2 months ago #18344

• scratch
  • Platinum Boarder
I did something this week I have said that I would not do anymore and that is put my birds under lights. In the past I have not had success with this method. I do know there are others that have great success with lights. Sometimes I think it may be location geographically or possibly equipment?
Anyway, I turned the lights on my Males Sunday the 22nd. Planning on running the males under the lights for a couple of weeks as I give them breeder solution. After the initial two weeks I will place the females in with the males.
Right now the lights are coming on at 5:00am in the morning giving them a couple of extra hours in the day. Not sure if I will change to an early time or not at this point.
I know that the extra 6 - 8 weeks growing time makes a tremendous difference in male birds.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

LIGHTS! 1 year 2 months ago #18345

• preacherrusty
  • Gold Boarder
Trying it this year myself. Put the males under lights on the 15th. Will add females this weekend. Mine comes on at 4:30am. We'll see ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: scratch

LIGHTS! 1 year 2 months ago #18346

• scratch
  • Platinum Boarder
I hope it works out for you. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: preacherrusty

LIGHTS! 1 year 2 months ago #18347

• billygrooms
  • Gold Boarder
Ive never used lights our weather is to fair in Florida to justify having them indoors. I've always let them go into their natural cycle. This year I set up male line pens around thanksgiving and caught some males breeding so I started setting eggs. To date I've got 122 chicks out, the fertility and hatch rate has been around 85%. It is just one of those weird years
Billy Grooms
(813)433-8422
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
40813 river road
Dade city,Florida 33525

LIGHTS! 1 year 2 months ago #18348

• Clink
  • Gold Boarder
I'm adding a few new lights to my outdoor pens

20170124_140152_2017-01-24.jpg
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Clink.

LIGHTS! 1 year 2 months ago #18349

• Shanesbantams
  • Expert Boarder
I mate males and females up in December and turn the lights in Jan on all the birds, it takes about 2 weeks and I start getting eggs and fertility is always good right away. I don't have lights in individual pens like I've seen some have, mine are in the room where pens are. Not saying the other way is wrong just this is how I've done it and had good success. This year it's taken about 3 weeks to get eggs but I decided to change my feed at the 1st of Jan and slowly changed over to new feed.

LIGHTS! 1 year 2 months ago #18352

• Clink
  • Gold Boarder
I've had about the same results Shane, I start getting eggs in the first two weeks. I have a 4' fluorescent light in the cellar that works great, I tried led christmas lights on a few pens and they didn't work, so I'm replacing them too
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds