Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Breeding & Genetic Terminology

Breeding & Genetic Terminology 5 years 6 months ago #1272

• Electrichicken
I have seen F1 in association with birds, what does it mean?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Breeding & Genetic Terminology 5 years 6 months ago #1273

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
F1 mating is original mating. F1 offsprings are the babies resulting this mating. F2 babiees are the results of mating F1 babies to each other. You may also here the term BC1. This is a backcross mating. BC1 babies are the result of mating the F1 or F2 back to the original birds you started the mating with. At least that is how I understand it. The F1 and 2 and 3 etc. refurr the generations since the original mating.

Re: Breeding & Genetic Terminology 5 years 6 months ago #1275

• TShelton54
  • Junior Boarder
That is right. F matings are all direct inbreeding. BC matings are linebreeding if the parent birds are used. Linebreeding is not as detrimental to reproduction and vigor as direct inbreeding. The problem is that when trying to make new varieties direct inbreeding is the only way to set traits, unless you start two or more lines of the same cross, and use line crossing instead. T Shelton
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrichicken

Re: Breeding & Genetic Terminology 5 years 6 months ago #1276

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Tim. Couldn't find the right words to explain thouroughly but you summed it up well. F represent inbreeding and the number behind it represents the generation 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation etc. Breeder selection is critical when applying this especially in the BC matings. Obviously you made the mating for improvements and the original stock had faults. We are tought to breed away from the fault but by going back to the original stock you are not only fixing in their good traits, you are also going back towards the very faults you are trying to get away from. So you see the offsprings you choose for the backcross are critical. JUst my way of thinking anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrichicken

Re: Breeding & Genetic Terminology 5 years 6 months ago #1277

• Electrichicken
That definitely clears that up, thanks. Hopefully someone else will have a question or comments to add.

Breeding & Genetic Terminology 5 years 6 months ago #1287

• Del
  • Expert Boarder
Dang, I always heard if they come out good that's line breeding and if they turn out bad that's inbreeding......lol
Raising and Exhibiting BB Red Male Line, BTB Male Line.
Joshua 24:15 ... But as for me and my house we will serve the LORD !
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackdiamond

Re: Breeding & Genetic Terminology 5 years 2 months ago #3393

• Yoo Hoo
  • Senior Boarder
"F 1" means First mating.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds