Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hatching advice

Hatching advice 6 years 2 months ago #1964

• TexBantams
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey guys like some of you may know im somewhat new to old english. I breed american game with my dad but wanted to start a hobby of my own in old english. I have only been breeding old english for two years and it may just be my bad luck but the past tow years have been bad breeding seasons with american game we would always let the hen set on eggs and i tried this with old english. Geting to the point with experence breeders like you all what is a better percentage of hatching hen setting or incubator breeding thanks in advance for any advice willing to give.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hatching advice 6 years 2 months ago #1965

• currahee
  • Platinum Boarder
I use the Bators early in the hatching year just to get the most out of my birds I can but in the latter part of the season I let the hens do there thing ..... Now thats just me .... But if you want to maxamize your hens for there eggs thats the only way to go .... But I do love watching that little hen with her babys

Re: Hatching advice 6 years 2 months ago #1966

• TexBantams
  • Fresh Boarder
yes i agree with you currahee half the fun of breeding is watching the hen take care of her chicks i will try your take on this

Re: Hatching advice 6 years 2 months ago #1968

• currahee
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a few American game They lay a hole lot better than these bantams do with a greater hatch rate .....

Re: Hatching advice 6 years 2 months ago #1972

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
TexBantams wrote:
Hey guys like some of you may know im somewhat new to old english. I breed american game with my dad but wanted to start a hobby of my own in old english. I have only been breeding old english for two years and it may just be my bad luck but the past tow years have been bad breeding seasons with american game we would always let the hen set on eggs and i tried this with old english. Geting to the point with experence breeders like you all what is a better percentage of hatching hen setting or incubator breeding thanks in advance for any advice willing to give.
I am like the others on this subject. I hatched 800+ this spring and that could never have been accomplished by just setting the hens. The one thing that is neat about the bator is you can turn it on when you want to and so you get the chicks when you plan for them by date and sometimes those hens are hard to get turned on. Once they really start laying good they seem to just keep on laying and that pile of eggs is just getting older andolder and unless you have a barn full of setting hens you lose all that opportunity to get the chicks. The incubator while not always the perfect answer is the best for numbers.
Just my thoughts.
Bill

Re: Hatching advice 6 years 2 months ago #1973

• currahee
  • Platinum Boarder
Ya you loose a lot of eggs along with opportunity By a hen setting her own eggs not counting any hatching and fertility problems .... And to make matters worse..... LOL ....Your gonna cull 50% to 90% before your done .... But I like I said I do let them set but at the rear end of the hatching season instead of two hatchs a year I get 6 to 10 from the same HEN .....

Re: Hatching advice 6 years 2 months ago #1993

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
I started with a bator this year and end with the hens setting. I just wanted to get my numbers up before "mother nature" takes over. Love to watch a hen with chicks. They have a better start and seem to grow so much faster with mom.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds