Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Master Breeder

Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #1974

• Electrichicken
I have asked this question before on another site and got an answer but didn't fully understand. What is a Master Breeder? How do you become a Master Breeder? and What are the benefits of being a Master Breeder?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #1978

• yegua308
  • Expert Boarder
When most people say the term "Master Breeder " They are talking about the ABA's starred win program.
A bird that wins a class of 100 or more gets a starred win. Only 1 starred win per bird per show.
20 starred wins in no less that 5 years is a Master Exhibitor. 20 starred wins in one breed and variety ( say BB Red OE) is a Master breeder.
Of course you have to be a member of the ABA to get awards. If you look in the ABA year book it lists all wins, including starred wins

The benefits? Self satisfaction, accomplishment. Some will say that your birds sell for more because if it, and I suppose that is true.
Blue Wheaten- Wheaten

Re: Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #2088

• Electrichicken
To become master breeder does the stared win have to be a bird they raised or is it more about the ability to get a bird show worthy. I guess what I am asking is do they have to state that they raised the bird? The work breeder would indicate that. I just want a good understanding of the terminology. Thanks for the description you already gave, it is very informative.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Electrichicken.

Re: Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #2089

• nutens
  • Senior Boarder
Plenty of starred wins on bought birds.

Re: Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #2094

• tater
We have sevaral master breeder titles, but it don't make the job any easier. matter of fact it makes the job harder. trying to compete with the excellent birds and exhibtors here in the south

Re: Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #2106

• Electrichicken
I understand now and do believe it is hard work getting the title now matter how it is achieved. Its just better have a complete understand rather than thinking you do and guessing. I never had a problem asking question that may make me look silly, foolish or even dumb, cause in the end it will give me knowledge to share with someone else.

Thank you very much! :)

Re: Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #2123

• tater
any time e chic, I'm amazed at all the imfo on this site, years ago you would have to travel to peoples houses and alot phone calls.

Re: Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #2125

• ronsmith9809
  • Expert Boarder
There should be a better or clearer definition of master breeder. To me it means a master at breeding great chickens. There should be a dividing line between Master breeder and Master exhibitor. I myself would never show a bird that I did not breed and feel that the only time some one should show someone elses bird is when they are just starting out an don't have any birds that they bred themselves. It takes many years to be a Master breeder and just because someone can buy and condition a bird does not mean they are a master breeder! The point road to Master breeder is flawed.

Re: Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #2133

• dhw
Taken from the ABA website:

The Master Exhibitor program has been going since 1979. It identifies and honors outstanding exhibitors and to win this honor the exhibitor must accumulate 20 starred wins over any number of years. A starred win is defined as champion or reserve champion in a class of 100 or more.
The Master Breeder program identifies and honors outstanding exhibitors. To win this honor the exhibitor must accumulate 20 starred wins in one variety in a period of not less than 5 years. A starred win is defined as Champion or Reserve Champion in a class of 100 or more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrichicken

Re: Master Breeder 6 years 1 month ago #2170

• yegua308
  • Expert Boarder
I think the ABA Master breeder program is fine, at least it is simple. Try understanding the APA program, it doesn't make sense.

I do realize that the ABA Master Breeder program has some small issues but if you have been showing enough you can tell who has earned theirs and who hasn't. I have seen all kinds of ways to sneak into the winners circle. To me buying birds is the least of it, but all the methods of getting a starred win whether truly legit or not takes money.
For me I don't worry about the guys who buy birds just to beat somebody, enter 100 birds in an off variety or enter a bunch of culls just to beef up the Display award.
I just worry about myself,that is a lot of work on its own.

Bob C
Blue Wheaten- Wheaten
The following user(s) said Thank You: cmshaner
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.727 seconds