Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: When to start Incubation

When to start Incubation 6 years 1 month ago #2085

• Electrichicken
I am sure there are lots of variables and personnel opinions but I would love to hear them and see them posted in one place.

QUESTION: What is the right time of the year to start up the incubator so you will have appropriate age birds for show?
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Electrichicken.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: When to start Incubation 6 years 1 month ago #2090

• currahee
  • Platinum Boarder
Man thats a good Question I cant wait to read all the comments on this one LOL I'll start in late Dec are early Jan with all my Project birds Feb & March for male birds April thru june for pullets,,,,,,,,,, And all thet depends on my luck ...LOL...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrichicken

Re: When to start Incubation 6 years 1 month ago #2095

• tater
we put our males that we going to use in the breed pens in early dec, the hens or pullets later that month. we hatch until mid april for male line. female line starts in march until may or june.

Re: When to start Incubation 6 years 1 month ago #2103

• Del
  • Expert Boarder
Well I would not say what i'm going to do is right for many people. This is my first year so for the next couple years i'm going to try and hatch a bunch. So far i've only hatched around 400. I started hatchng in Feb. I stopped hatching around the first of July. But I plan on start hatching in Sept with my project birds and probably around December on my BB's. Within my first 2 years I'd like to hatch off around 1500-2000 chicks.
Raising and Exhibiting BB Red Male Line, BTB Male Line.
Joshua 24:15 ... But as for me and my house we will serve the LORD !

Re: When to start Incubation 6 years 1 month ago #2109

• scratch
  • Platinum Boarder
This season I thought I would wait on my hens to start laying naturaly and it put me a little late on my cockerels. I'm afraid it may be spring of 2013 before some of my cockerels will be mature enough to show. As far as pullets are concerned I think I will be alright? But to answer the initial question, I would think that most everyone tries to get there male lines hatched off as close to the first of the year as possible. This allows more time for them to mature for the fall shows. I think there is alot of differance between a cockerel that was hatched in the first 3 months of the year compared to one that was hatched in May or June?

Re: When to start Incubation 6 years 1 month ago #2111

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Started last year in December. Still found that to be late. Am trying to get started with some inEarly November. Will be turning lights on october 1.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds