Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: WING CARRIAGE

WING CARRIAGE 5 years 4 months ago #2533

• dhw
How difficult is it to raise wing carriage through breeding and when do you give up and go buy a bird that has what you are looking for in wing carriage?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: WING CARRIAGE 5 years 4 months ago #2537

• CHOCTAW
  • Gold Boarder
THIS IS ANOTHER VERY DIFFICULT AREA I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT IF YOU STAY WITHIN YOUR OWN BIRDS THAT ARE ALL CARRYING THEIR WINGS LOW THAT YOU MAY NEVER GET RID OF IT. LOW TO LOW BRINGS LOW. I THINK THAT YOU HAVE TO INTRODUCE ANOTHER LINE THAT CARRIES THEIR WINGS WHERE YOU WANT THEM AND AS FAR AS WHEN DO YOU STOP DEPENDS ON YOU, AND HOW MUCH TIME AND MONEY YOU WANT TO SPEND, THERE ARE DEFFINTLY BREEDER OUT THERE THAT WILL ACCOMIDATE YOU IF YOU GOT THE $$

Re: WING CARRIAGE 5 years 4 months ago #2538

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Alot of the low wing carriage out there came about with some fad breeding. Not all but some. Birds with overpronounced breasts and heads carried way back will naturally have their wings drop. Like a seabright they become cobby. Need to get back to breeding a more balanced Old English Game. The corredt carriage of head and breast is that when you drop a stringline down at tip of beak, it should just barely touch the breast. Not disect it. This can be done only through the breeding program. For birds that just have a lazy wing and want to drop them, conditioning can help, A swingung perch can strengthen wing muscles. They should not only be high but also tight. Holding the bird in the palm of your handpull the wing open. It should snap back in placetight to the body.

Re: WING CARRIAGE 5 years 4 months ago #2541

• tater
look at your females type, anything that they have will be past on to next years cockerels, for sure in the male lines.

Re: WING CARRIAGE 5 years 4 months ago #2544

• KentuckyRandy
  • Senior Boarder
Wind carriage is one of the hardest things to get right. I agree with Kjundog this problem is wide spreed. If you don't have both a male and a female with good wing carrige I would go out and get some that do.

Re: WING CARRIAGE 5 years 4 months ago #2547

• dhw
That's what I was thinking Randy. I'm thinking in some cases low wing carriage was bred into them because that was what was winning. Maybe today some of are problems with low wing carriage originates from this fact. Personally, if I need to raise wing carriage I only breed birds that have good carriage. Of course this means you probably have to go buy more birds.

Re: WING CARRIAGE 5 years 4 months ago #2550

• CHOCTAW
  • Gold Boarder
I WILL STAY WITH MY ORIGINAL STATEMENT, THIS IS FORM MY EXPERIENC AND LOOKS AS SO FAR EVEY ONE AGREES.

Re: WING CARRIAGE 5 years 4 months ago #2553

• tater
if the head goes up and the breast goes out to far, usually the wings go down. just from what I have seen.

WING CARRIAGE 3 years 4 months ago #12147

• 911randal
  • Gold Boarder
So selective breeding is the key. How many generations do you guys think it will take to show improvements in the offspring
Randal Hodges
County Line Bantams (Glen St. Mary, FL)
Breeder of Blue Wheaten,Birchen and Buff Old English Game Bantams

WING CARRIAGE 3 years 4 months ago #12148

Great topic, How high is too high for your wing carriage?
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds