Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: 8 TAIL FEATHERS

8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4076

• dhw
I have a Wheaten C that has 16 tail feathers and I found a couple of Blue Wheaten pullets with 16 tail feathers. Is this disirable and if I mate these together will that increase the odds of their offspring having the same? :huh:
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by dhw.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4077

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
boggy i like the 16 tail feathers , in some cases some judges if you have 2 birds that are identical in every thing else one has 14 one has 16 the judge will go with the 16 , but the down side is if a bird has 16 feathers they wont have the width of feather the 14 feathered one does , i was talking to a good judge saturday he told me if a bird had 12 feathers of real good width that he could pick that bird , i like a good wide feather with the shaft in the middle , i have a couple of black cocks here that are knots , not much bigger than a base ball one of them the 2nd feather down is 1 1/2 in ches wide raven

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4096

• tater
abuntant feather!!!!

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4233

• Electrichicken
I have a BB Red cockerel that has 8 on one side and 7 on the other. Is this a lesser bird than one with even number of tail featers?

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4234

• joshgriffin
  • Senior Boarder
Electrichicken wrote:
I have a BB Red cockerel that has 8 on one side and 7 on the other. Is this a lesser bird than one with even number of tail featers?

Is he still feathering in?.. if he is that missing feather may come in later on or may not come in, it just depends on the bird

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4235

• CHOCTAW
  • Gold Boarder
Is 8 tail feathers a genetic defect or a genetic plus ? Does cetain varieties have a bette chance of having 8 tails featers ? Is 8 tail feathers genetics at all ? .I have raisd oeg for quite a while and have seen very few in the varieties iam raising blue varities BGDW,GDW,BR AND SDW

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4243

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
on the 7 or 8 tail feathers i have a good number of blacks that have 8 tail feathers on the left side and 7 on the right , ive seen this happen many times , on the cocks or cockrells , pull out the bottom odd feather and show them i have a cockrell and pullet that has 16 tail feathers these birds are bred back to their sire 7/8 his blood , personally i like 14 tail feathers with good wide feathers with the shaft in the middle of the feather choc i dont consider it a defect well bred birds are quite different than the run of the mill birds and is it a plus ill guess its who youre talking to uually in my experience the birds with 16 tail feathers wont have the same width of feather as the 14 feathered one raven

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4245

• cgibson
  • Senior Boarder
I have a pullet that has 16 feathers. None of her sisters or brothers done that. This being my first year breeding them I couldn't say for sure if it will be common. The more I raise I guess I will know more?

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4250

• nutens
  • Senior Boarder
Is it true that the "8 tail feather gene" is an indication that Leghorn blood is in the background somewhere? Leghorns have at least that many.

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 1 month ago #4258

• Electrichicken
Guess that means my BB reds only have a 50% chance of having any Leghorn in them. ;)
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds