Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: 8 TAIL FEATHERS

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 6 years 4 days ago #4259

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
never heard that before , ive bred this one little cock to 7/8 of his blood theyre all identical all black with good sheen , these birds were double lefts i really dont know how close they were bred , in my case i can assure you theres no leghorn blood in them apparently theres no trash in them , when you start breeding close you start gettig all type of stuff out of them , but these birds are consistent as far as type and color raven
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 6 years 3 days ago #4262

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
I am not sure how it is considered in Old English or even poultry in general but when things are injected into cattle to make changes it is said that once they are 7/8, their offspring is considered pure. There has historically been things added to all of the animals and pultry to make differences in type and in our case feathering and colors so that it is difficult with any assurity to know what the background genetics are on most all animals and poultry. I feel like sometimes these thigs lay dormant for years and then for some strange reason they show up in a generation and then some things strange, like Ravens says, show up as we breed tighter over time.
I do not feel like an extra feather is a sign of bad genetics but one of those mutation things that come along and probably will breed true to an extent like other things of that nature.
A friend of mine back in the mid 70's decided he was going to put some OE Game fowl in his Blacks and was successful at it. He bred them for about 10 years and ended up with some things from those genetics. I took one of the 7/8 blood and used it in some of my stock and really got some nice stuff on my end also.I kept them for several years and then got out of them but it was a nice deal for a while. I would think that an extra tail feather would not be a bad thing but I would want it to be on both sides.
I really prefer balance on my birds and am not an avid huge tail kind of person.
Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 6 years 3 days ago #4273

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
7 tail feathers
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 10 months ago #4750

• NorTexFF
  • Expert Boarder
I have a brown red cockerel that had 9 feathers on each side. And also had one that had double main sickles? Anyone had this before. I don't know of another breed that has double main sickles. Both of these males are out of a hen that is 9 years old So I figured it was her genetics wearing out.

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 6 months ago #5452

• TShelton54
  • Junior Boarder
Eight tail feather trait IS genetic. Sometimes it only occurs on one side, like Raven reported. I had Whites with eight tail feathers from Otis Fields back in the early nineties, so it's not a new thing. The case of nine is not suprising, but really reaches back a long ways to Green Jungle Fowl blood centuries ago. Green Jungle fowl is where it is thought the original Black chickens came from.

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 6 months ago #5453

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
thanks tim most of my black cockrells , that i bred back to their daddy and some of the pullets , have 8 on one side i have 1 cockrell and 1 pullet that have 16 tail feathers they are bred 7/8 back to the cock , , jw

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 6 months ago #5454

• Shanesbantams
  • Expert Boarder
I am new breeder so could someone explain 7/8 blood to me.

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 6 months ago #5455

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Let see if I can putit into words for you Shane. I will use a BBred strain cross I am doing this year. If I mate a Tracy Hill Cock to a pure Barnes hen. THe offsprings blood would be half Hill and half Barnes. Taking one of these offsprings and mating back to a pure Hill would result in 3/4 Hill and 1/4 Barnes blood offspring. This is calculated by taking each parent and dividing into 4 parts. THe pure hill is 4/4 hill. THe F1's of the first cross would be 2/4 hill and 2/4 Barnes. By adding up the 8 parts you get 6 parts Hill and 2 parts Barnes or 3/4 Hill and 1/4 Barnes . Mate that 3/4 Hill offspring back to a pure HIll and the offspring of those calculate as follow.THe pure male is 8/8 Hill and the 3/4 hill bird is 6/8 HIll and 2/8 Barnes. Added up comes to 14/16 or 7/8 Hill and 2/16 or 1/8 Barnes.I am not too educated and hope I explained that clear enough. If you took one of those 3/4 hill 1/4 barnes and mated to the 1/2 hill and 1/2 Barnes those chicks would be 5/8 HIll and 3/8 Barnes. ITis a numbers and fractions thing.

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 6 months ago #5456

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
when you breed a cock back to his daughters 3 times different daughters diferent years
The following user(s) said Thank You: kjundog

Re: 8 TAIL FEATHERS 5 years 6 months ago #5457

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
THanks Raven for getting me out of that with a much simpler answer. I can be long winded at times. LOL
Time to create page: 0.550 seconds