Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Breeding and Genetics Books

Breeding and Genetics Books 6 years 1 month ago #553

• Electrichicken
What are some good books that can help a OEGB breeder with improving or creating a variety.
I have come against a lot of oposition when asking about creating a variety and almost feel like as if I am being scolded for suggesting such a thing when there are good birds out there to start with. Don't get me wrong I am open minded and cherish others opinions and input. I find great satisfaction in trying new things and have the time, patience and discipline to move forward with a project while respecting the veiws and goals of the OEGBCA Club.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Breeding and Genetics Books 6 years 1 month ago #556

• TShelton54
  • Junior Boarder
You can get my book, The Genetics of the Old English Game Bantam by Timothy Shelton. It is available at Authorhouse.com and may become available at this site soon. I tried to list all the genes in each variety in the book so that you can make a decision which varieties to use to make other new varieties. Tell me what you are trying to make and I will discuss possibilities with you. Tim Shelton
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrichicken, Bill

Re: Breeding and Genetics Books 6 years 1 month ago #559

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
TShelton54 wrote:
You can get my book, The Genetics of the Old English Game Bantam by Timothy Shelton. It is available at Authorhouse.com and may become available at this site soon. I tried to list all the genes in each variety in the book so that you can make a decision which varieties to use to make other new varieties. Tell me what you are trying to make and I will discuss possibilities with you. Tim Shelton
Sounds like that is exactly the book I am looking for. I hope you wrote it for dummies so I can understand. I am interested in the genes for making my whites stay whiter.I have gotten some good info from Carl Jarvis and am working on some of it now. The other thing I am looking for is how to keep a good sheen on the blacks.
I also have other questions that I need answered but I don't intend to ask you to print your book on here.lol
I will see if I can get your book and then I will feel better about visiting after I have read through it and studied it some.
Thank you for your help.
Bill

Re: Breeding and Genetics Books 6 years 1 month ago #577

• Electrichicken
TShelton54 wrote:

I will get your book it sounds like it will be very helpful. I am trying to make Red Pyle. I read an article about improving Modern Red Pyle that mentioned using the offspring that came with yellow legs in the breeding pen, but that was using a Pyle crossed with a BB Red. I have a few chicks from a White rooster over a BB Red hen. I need to know what to look for if anything beside type and how to breed them (brother X Sister or Father X Daughter ect... or whether to use the BB Red or White again). Would love to use some tried and true methods to eliminate a lot of wasted time. Thanks for the information about the book. I am looking forward to seeing more input from you on the site. :)

Re: Breeding and Genetics Books 6 years 1 week ago #1031

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
TShelton54 wrote:
I have got it coming Timothy and I appreciate the advice. I am glad you didn't mind reccomending your own book as I am sureit will help me.
Thanks again, Bill.

Re: Breeding and Genetics Books 4 years 1 month ago #11047

• preacherrusty
  • Gold Boarder
How bout Fred P. Jeffrey's Bantam Chickens book? Is that a good one for OEGB information?

Re: Breeding and Genetics Books 4 years 1 month ago #11048

• Bryant
  • Platinum Boarder
preacherrusty wrote:
How bout Fred P. Jeffrey's Bantam Chickens book? Is that a good one for OEGB information?

It is very good for genetic information. It is not written at the college level. It is written for the everyday person to understand how we got the varieties we have today and how to genetically breed new ones. The Club sells them for $15 plus postage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: preacherrusty

Re: Breeding and Genetics Books 4 years 1 month ago #11050

• preacherrusty
  • Gold Boarder
Where can I find books for sale on this site? I did not see them in the Store

Re: Breeding and Genetics Books 4 years 1 month ago #11051

• Bryant
  • Platinum Boarder
preacherrusty wrote:
Where can I find books for sale on this site? I did not see them in the Store

The Board of Directors are taking under consideration the Clubs tax status as I write this. We can't have a full Club store until that matter is determined. In the mean time send $18 to me for the book and postage and I'll mail you one. Thanks, Bryant
The following user(s) said Thank You: preacherrusty

Re: Breeding and Genetics Books 4 years 1 month ago #11052

• preacherrusty
  • Gold Boarder
Are we talking about the same book? Bantam Chickens by Fred P Jeffrey. I ask because I have not seen it less than $30 any place else
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds