Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: Culling

Culling 6 years 4 months ago #554

• Electrichicken
What is your interpretation of culling?
I have heard a lot of people talk about culling and have recently sat thru a demonstration at afeed store hosted by local breeders and when they begain to speak of culling they curtailed the subject almost as if they were afraid to say it is better off to kill the chicks in some cases.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Electrichicken.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #563

• Felix
  • Expert Boarder
From my understanding as breeders of oeg its our responsibility not to sell calls off because you are mis representing the standard.

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #565

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
As far as chickens go, culling simply means cutting the undersirable ones out of your flock. How you do that is a person's personal choice. I believe in killing them and not putting them out to the public simply because killing is more in line with my goal of promoting quality Old English. I would rather let the better birds go at a reasonable price to insure good birds are getting out there into people's hands. I would imagine some folks would be reluctant to talk about it openly as there are so many animal rights people who speak against it and haven't got a clue as to what they are talking about.But then there are those out there that call themselves breeders and in truth they are just reproducers. Guess it all depends on wht your goal is.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by kjundog.

Culling 6 years 4 months ago #566

• Del
  • Expert Boarder
With perception of the standard being different by individual person, and the type and kind they are striving to breed such as male line female line etc..... It would be impossible for everyone to cull the same. What I mean by that is a person raising a male line bb may cull a bird that would fit someone else's female line. Whereas the female line breeder would not get rid of that bird. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but that's my opinion.
Raising and Exhibiting BB Red Male Line, BTB Male Line.
Joshua 24:15 ... But as for me and my house we will serve the LORD !

Culling 6 years 4 months ago #567

• Del
  • Expert Boarder
I agree with you on the animal rights people Wayne. However if I have a bird that I don't need and it has no DQs and no deformities then I don't mind selling some as yard birds. Right now I'm not a big breeder with birds that are in high demand. So it's nice to be able I recoop a little feed money. I'd like to get to the point where I'm just selling show or breeder birds but that's not happening for awhile.
Raising and Exhibiting BB Red Male Line, BTB Male Line.
Joshua 24:15 ... But as for me and my house we will serve the LORD !

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #568

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
I think of culling as simply removal of undesirable birds from your flock. Some kill them and others sell or even give them away.

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #570

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Del,
Nothin wrong with what you are doing. Like I said it just depends on what your goal is. It is said that one man's trash is another man's treasure so killing is not always the way. None are perfect and they all have defects so I cannot say I do not sell birds with defects. It's just some defects will condemn a bird to death while others are minor and the bird could be usefull to someone else. Other reason I might consider a bird a cull is it is just not what I am looking for to improve what I have but still good enough for a sell bird. Not that I wouldn't breed from it if that was all I had so it could be a good starter bird for someone else. Like I said culling simply means getting the birds you don't want out of your flock. The way a person chooses to cull is strictly their choice and their business. I am not condemning anyone because they are different then me. I am smart enough to know my way is not the only way it is just my way and is right for me.

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #578

• Electrichicken
Never hurts to have a litte clarification. Thank you!! ;)

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #581

• Felix
  • Expert Boarder
CAN OF WORMS HAVE BEEN OPENED!

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #582

• dixiered
  • Senior Boarder
I culled a few yesterday I gave them to my local feed store.
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds