Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: Culling

Re: Culling 6 years 5 months ago #668

• silver2
  • Expert Boarder
Im new to this so was wondering how can you culla biddy what do you see or not see that would make you say this is not going to be a quality bird or show bird my answer probally will come with years of experience right just asking.......?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Culling 6 years 5 months ago #676

• Electrichicken
The topic the feed store was on was splayed legs in newly hatched chicks or other deformities. Some breeder may cull male or female if the sex can be determined. Someone with more experience will chime in here.

Re: Culling 6 years 5 months ago #680

• Electrichicken
I found this information and thought it would benifit this topic.

Laroche's Exhibition Poultry & Cage Birds

Eliminating culls as the young birds grow is a large part of conditioning. This last statement may seem strange but think of it like this,The less an individual bird has to compete for space, feed and water the faster and stronger it will become. Keeping that bird with a few minor or major faults or even worse a disqualification only adds to the kaos not to mention the stress put on a bird to compete for its survival , this can make a good bird not develop correctly.If you are keeping these birds to get a few bucks from a local dealer or possibly it will get better... usually ends in disapointment usually at the expense of the other better birds. Cullling the lesser birds helps the over all flock.Culling is a major key component to conditioning.

Re: Culling 6 years 5 months ago #683

• Felix
  • Expert Boarder
Thats very true. I have never thought of that from that point of view but that makes tons of sense

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #854

I mark all my keepers and sell the rest for very cheap. I like to sell my "culls" to the locals who could care less about showing. These little oe really make them happy. I sold a trio the other day to a little girl from church and that's all she talks about at church. I had planned to give them to her but her mom insisted she pay for them. I guess that does teach some responsibility at an early age. Whatever works for you is what you should do, but it never hurts to recoop a bag of feed or two.

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #856

• currahee
  • Platinum Boarder
I get what Kjondog is saying....And I agree Some what... He is a breeder First and for most ... When you start a breeding program that includes improving not just breeding ... when your crossing in and out other breeds for those improvements.. In most cases there culls... Other than for your breeding program are maybe for someone that is trying for the same goal for the same birds .... To put them out there as O.E.s can be dangerous to other breeders .... Like the old saying GO'S... Can't judge a book by it COVER ... It can set a breeding program back for a years ... But you know the truth be told I've never bought a mans best birds its always been his CULLS GO FIGURE

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #861

• BackInBlack
  • Gold Boarder
I'm with K dog I kill all culls. I'm a breeder first. I know it seems harsh.

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #864

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
I cull most of mine, but I do take care of this couple with a few kids. Every so often they want or need a bird. They don't know it, but I've improved their flock of creles so much. LOL
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by genamc01.

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #874

• ronsmith9809
  • Expert Boarder
I think of culling the same way as Barry it is simply removal of undesirable birds from your flock, I do this several ways
1- chicks, As I am improving the color I select the ones that don't conform to my requirements all those go to a local animal auction or are given away
2- The rest are left to grow until they are young adults 6 to 9 months at that point I select again for color and also for type, The birds that don't make the cut are dispatched cleaned and put in the freezer to be eaten at a later date, I like chicken and noodles and chicken pot pie,I tried them on the grill but they are a little tough for that.
3- My final selection is for the birds that I plan on using for show and future breeding all others including some of the show birds I offer for sale.
4 - Older breeder birds or discontinued breeders are usually turned out in the yard but occasionally are sold

Re: Culling 6 years 4 months ago #876

• currahee
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm with ya Ron I like chicken noodle soup , chicken dumpling too . I just can't let the kids know that there little babies might be in there soup ... but this year it's gonna be ...LOL
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds