Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: Culling

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #934

• dhw
Culling is simply removing animals you don't want to keep. The reasons are varied. When I buy birds from a breeder I know I'm buying birds he does not want to keep. I think the key is to not sell an undesirable bird (represented as desirable) to an individual that is trying to improve his flock.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #1023

• jburk
  • Fresh Boarder
I agree with Boggy on this, If you are not the type person to kill your culls you should just give or sell them to someone who is not intending to show. I know there are a lot of folks that just like to have bantams around thier yard or barn and don't care if its pure or what.

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #1035

• tater
We line our birds up just like a show, pick out the top 10 or so,then the rest of the birds have a bad day! culls will eat just as much, takeup just as much space . cull as hard as you can. then get another chicken person to look to. many people become what I call barn blind.

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #1036

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Terry, I like yer style. That's a good strategy. They can eat you a bunch of feed quick and I ain't waitin to see who might want some backyard birds so I just introduce them to the chopping block. A second set of eyes also helps as you said some folks have a hard seeing thru a few good points on the bird and become blind to the defects. Sometimes I will line them up by mating and if all I want to keep from the black spiral is 3 I will pick 3 that are either showbirds or something that will help my breeding program and the rest bite the dust. Do the same with a different colored spiral and so on. Sometimes a mating doesn't work and I don't keep any of that color spiral band. This is just my way. Not saying anything is wrong with someone else disposing culls differently.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by kjundog.

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #1037

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
You and Tater have the right idea kdog. There is no point in keeping a bunch of birds around in hope that someone will take them off your hands at a later date. They take up too much space and eat too much feed. I do wait until they are mature enough to see if they are keepers though.

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #1041

• tater
Alot of breeders will have culls. its the maybe brids that will get you every time! maybe he will pick his tail up, maybe he will tuck his wings up, maybe the lacing will go away,etc.

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #1045

• BackInBlack
  • Gold Boarder
I enjoy putting them in show pens and culling.

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #1049

• T. Stanley
  • Senior Boarder
Some are breeders that never show but breed toward the standard. Never sure really how they would do in a show. Some show alot that barely breed...just buy their show birds. Some are a little of both and just do it as a hobby, breed toward the standard and enjoy it. Unless there are physical defects such as legs, neck etc. some varities take longer to put in color and charastics that you would look for when culling. There is no certain date/age on when one should cull as it depends on the bird and when that bird deviates from the standard or for what you are trying to achieve in your breeding program. Just remember not every bird needs to be like the standard as some are used to create birds toward the standard...They are defects/imperfections in every bird.

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #1050

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
At what age do you start putting them up in showcages to cull Tater? I've started culling some at 3 months for obvious defects.

Re: Culling 6 years 1 month ago #1052

• tater
Barry there about 3 mo. old. just big enough not to get out of the wire pens. We try to put 3 to 4 birds in one hole. then watch and seperate. We have 108 single holes in the big barn, each hole has chickens ! ready to cull as soon as possible!!!!
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds