Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Keeping birds pure in a blood line.

Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5560

• DustysBBReds
  • Fresh Boarder
I here alot of people talk about keeping there birds pure. How can u keep them pure for years with out adding some blood in your stock.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5561

• dhw
Surely they are talking about not crossing out to other varieties or breeds.

Re: Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5562

• DustysBBReds
  • Fresh Boarder
In the same variety.

Re: Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5564

• dhw
I've heard about people line breeding and not introducing new blood ever but you kill hybrid vigor when you do that. You also sacrifice fertility and egg production. To each their own but personally I'm not a fan. :)

Re: Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5567

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
dusty , i had a family of kelsos that i had bred straight for 27 years before, i got into bantams , and i got rid of them, it was very hard to do , i started with a pure kelso co ck and 5 single mated sisters which were 1/2 of another kelso family i/2 mclean that came from cutis blackwell [ theres a lot more that i could say , but im not getting into that , i bred the cock back to the daughters , i single mated him to all 5 daughters , then bred him back to the daughters again single mated i bred the stags , maybe 1 to 5 2 to 3 hens, so on these were all single matings i bred them this way until i lost the cock i bred birds to aunts cousins this was over a period of years i could tell you more but this gives you an idea ,boggy you cant get hybird vigor by breeding chickens to chickens , true hybirds wont reproduce , you need to keep the best birds out of the line , you breed the individuals , not the line , in bantams , keep the best type feather , leg color eye , some birds just stand out over others , keep and breed enough birds to keep your gene pool open ,one thing i did that helped me i had a friend in california who i know was a good breeder , and would breed like i sent him , we exchanged birds , and he would send me back birds , i would send him birds and when i bred the birds he sent me from out there it would be like putting new blood into them , and added fire into them , this was a family , i had other blood that i had done the same with and i crossed them , but the straight ones had power ,cut gameness and were winning birds , i think my friend still has some bred this way , i havent talked to him in a while , the main thing i had were birds when bred together , complimented each other ,the bantams that i have are doing the same , all birds may not nick and produce good birds , this is a slight explanation .. its much more involved raven
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by raven.

Re: Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5569

• DustysBBReds
  • Fresh Boarder
That's good info. Im just getting into breeding show quality birds and don't understand a whole lot.

Re: Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5575

• tater
we do the same raven

Re: Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5576

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
it sounds complicated , but its not its just common sense things ,pappy sheriff said a lot of things on breeding which i did , but i also did a lot of things which went against what he said, if a bird has a fault , there again its what the fault is ,and has great assets a lot of good things , more than the bad you can work with that bird , all birds , have potential and limitations , and its up to the breeder to find them and use them , the breeding is the interesting part to me , one thing i do and im not that smart ,i try to listen to people , sometimes they ask you questions , and if you dont reply . they dont tell you , ive learned a lot from beginners when you get to be an expert youre going backwards [regressing ] never stop learning , too if you listen some times people tell you things they dont mean to.

Re: Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5577

• raven
  • Senior Boarder
a great friend and top feeder and chicken man ,told me this , it was pertaining to gamecocks , he told me : its not the big things you do that hurts you , its the little things you dont do

Re: Keeping birds pure in a blood line. 5 years 3 months ago #5580

• tater
amen to that, those little things can make or brake the breed pen
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds