Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: Age and feather growth

Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #816

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
I was wondering around what age does a cockerel get his last and final set of feathers? I assume this would be the time one would need to separate and place in conditioning pens.
Thanks, Gena
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #822

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
They need to be put in separate pens way before that in my opinion. Cockerels are separated to individual pens at around 12 weeks around here. At least the survivors are anyway. Not all of them remain there. As I see something I don't like developing they are culled and another bird moves in to take it's spot. I believe it was said that males put in 17 different sets of feathers before having their mature feathers come out. Not sure if that is true but I think I read it somewhere. Hard to say what age they are truly finished as I think environment, diet and climate all play a role in determining this.

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #823

• jburk
  • Fresh Boarder
I've never heard 17 sets of feathers before but I have heard 7, but whichever you are right about seperating at about 12 weeks. Thats about the age some of my little males want to start trying to rule the pen and I think its better to just go ahead and seperate them at this point and let them finish out.

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #827

• Felix
  • Expert Boarder
WOW! ya'll keep this thing going cause I'm really enjoying this and wanting to learn

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #829

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
I was thinking around 12 weeks. Thanks for all the replies.

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #836

I have definitely found that this is the age to seperate them but if you spot broken feathers should you just leave them be or pull them?

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #837

• tater
ktown if itsa baby feather dont worry it will fall out but final feathers that are damaged can be pulled it takes about 6 weeks to grow back sometimes it will not or come back short

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #838

At what age are the feathers going to be adult feathers?

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #842

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
At 12 weeks just leave the feather molt on it's own. For a older bird don't just pull it you run the risk of damaging the feather follicle and not having another one grow back in. Cut the feather about 1/2 way down and leave like that a week then go back and pull it. For main tail, sickles and wings it will take 10 to 12 weeks to be fully replaced, finished and dried up with no blood in the shaft so you gotta plan ahead.

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 weeks ago #852

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
I had a damaged sickle that has taken 3 months to come back. I don't think it will ever match the other one. Maybe when he goes thru a natural molt, but who cares, he's in the breeder pen now.
I have pulled damaged wing feather on a young pullet and they came back perfect. You do have to plan ahead and do the math.

Next time I will cut first. Thanks for that info!!!
Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by genamc01.
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds