Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: Age and feather growth

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 7 months ago #855

• cliftonranch
  • Senior Boarder
When you pull a feather, watch your angle as you pull - damage to the follicle is what makes the feather not grow in correctly or come back shorter. Cutting the feather like kjundog said will make a world of difference.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 6 months ago #1442

• tater
ok guys its time to really look at your birds, our birds are starting to put in their final tail, some damage now can be corrected before show season starts. remember dustins recipe.with what I heard, this season should be a great year. lots of birds.

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 6 months ago #1443

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Tater is right again. Now is the time. Got 13 weeks before the Boaz show and 19 weeks before the national. From the time you remove a main wing or tail feather or sickle it takes about 12 weeks for it to be completely replaced and dry with no blood in the quill. So don't delay.

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 6 months ago #1451

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the heads up.

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 5 months ago #2084

• Electrichicken
kjundog wrote:
Tater is right again. Now is the time. Got 13 weeks before the Boaz show and 19 weeks before the national. From the time you remove a main wing or tail feather or sickle it takes about 12 weeks for it to be completely replaced and dry with no blood in the quill. So don't delay.

Is there anyway to predict they young cockerels tail growth? (meaning how long per week do the main sickle feathers grow)

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 5 months ago #2099

• tater
watch the blood in the shaft of the feather, the blood is all the way up, then goes down as the feather finishes.

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 5 months ago #2100

• eastert22
  • Senior Boarder
i got a great cock bird just put in condition pen, been in breed pen for a while, he has a nip from one of his sickle feathers, other than that he is in great shape and feathers look great, how bad does nip hurt him at the early shows? and what can i do to correct at this time, he is one of my best male birds, did great with him last fall as a kockerial.

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 5 months ago #2104

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
I had one cockerel break a sickle feather in half. I pulled it a week later. It took a very long time to grow in. (12 to 14 weeks) You have a good question. Not sure what I would do.

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 5 months ago #2119

• tater
depending on the location of the nick, if it's at the very end, you can trim it out,making sure both are equal in lenght, if it's on down in the sickle and very noticable you may have to pull!! now if the nick is some what small, super glue works great, just pull the feathers together and aply just a tiny amount!!!!!

Re: Age and feather growth 5 years 5 months ago #2129

• eastert22
  • Senior Boarder
thanks tater, its about 1/8 in gap right before bow in feather, going to be tough to repair, i sure hate to pull, but oh well stuff happens, lol
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds