Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: Age and feather growth

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 months ago #2155

• tater
if the bird is that good leave it alone, don't know the point deduction. aba may tell us
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 months ago #2157

• Dusty
  • Fresh Boarder
What exactly does cutting the feather do? Does it kill it?

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 months ago #2159

• tater
kujdog said to cut the feather then remove a week later, my guess is the feather dries out inside the quill?

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 months ago #2177

• eastert22
  • Senior Boarder
where do you cut it at , the base? If you pull it should you pull both sickle feathers? Tater let me bring him to you and borrow that old bird otis showed last year and we will swap back when mine sickles come back, what do you think. LOL

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 months ago #2178

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Cutting the feather wand letting it dry out or die or what ever will allow the feather to be pulled out alot easier without damage to the feather folicle or socket or what ecer you call it. I pulled healthy feathers on males already and damaged the folicle and a feather never came back in. Bird had one sickle the rest of his life.

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 months ago #2201

• tater
easter you don't want that old cull!!! lol

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 months ago #2203

• eastert22
  • Senior Boarder
Yea I think Otis wore him out last year, showed all the color off him, First show Sept. 8 th. i need some feathers to really start growing All my birds look like been hit with weed eater.

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 months ago #2205

• eastert22
  • Senior Boarder
I got a few nice ginger males coming along, but do not compare to yours, females are ok nothing eyecatching yet, got a few pulled aside that are starting to shape up.

Re: Age and feather growth 6 years 3 months ago #2208

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
I guess I got a soft spot for the ladies cuz in many varieties the real beauty is in the females. Ginger red is one of them. Brassyback is another and I have always preferred a well colored BB REd female over a male. The females in those varieties are beautiful when right. In shawnee I saw Red Quill for the first time in Shawnee and they really caught my eye. Wish I had more space to dabble with some of those but will be starting a birchen project this year. Now there is another beautiful femal;e.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by kjundog.
Time to create page: 1.196 seconds