Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1st Week Embryo Mortality

1st Week Embryo Mortality 4 years 1 month ago #11098

• dhw
I have had an increase of chick embryo's dying in the first week. What are the possible causes of this issue. Bacteria in the incubator or something else?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 1st Week Embryo Mortality 4 years 1 month ago #11102

• yegua308
  • Expert Boarder
Do you use a separate hatcher?
Do you sterilize your incubator and all hatching trays at the end of the season?
Have you added any new females?
Blue Wheaten- Wheaten

Re: 1st Week Embryo Mortality 4 years 1 month ago #11106

• dhw
I do use a separate hatcher but I did have a few hatch early in the beginning. Using a new incubator and trays were sterilized before I started. Breed stock is the same now as when I started. This has been a progessive problem. Sprayed incubator with bleach water recently. Will see if that helps but I'm about done hatching.

Re: 1st Week Embryo Mortality 4 years 1 month ago #11109

• yegua308
  • Expert Boarder
Could be something as simple as the eggs are just not as viable this late in the hatching season- for a lot of reasons. Mostly because the breeders are just getting tired or they need to wormed etc.
I did have something like this happen to me a couple of years ago and spraying the inside of the incubator with Trek- Trol helped, but like you I was at the end of the season.

The bad thing is that I researched and this is a symptom of P/T, which is spread thru the female and the eggs in the incubator. Since I tested negative later, I wrote it off.
Blue Wheaten- Wheaten

Re: 1st Week Embryo Mortality 4 years 1 month ago #11113

• Daniel
May I ask what is P/T?

Re: 1st Week Embryo Mortality 4 years 1 month ago #11116

• yegua308
  • Expert Boarder
Daniel wrote:
May I ask what is P/T?

Pullorium/ Typhoid. It is actually 2 things that are tested for at one time. It is actually quite rare now and most states are declared P/T free.
The only state that I know of that doesn't test for it and require a P/T report to show is California.
Mind boggling to me that California doesn't require anything to bring your birds to a show.
Blue Wheaten- Wheaten
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds