Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Setting Hens

Setting Hens 6 years 5 months ago #288

• Electrichicken
How many of you use your hens to incubate the eggs for you? My hens don't seem interested in the idea.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Setting Hens 6 years 5 months ago #289

• Blood54
  • Expert Boarder
I turned my lights on right after Christmas and they started laying right away. It took about 2 1/2 months before they started wanting to set. From what I have seen it takes 2 or 3 clutches of eggs before they start setting the eggs. Just my experience.
Ronnie Youngblood

Re: Setting Hens 6 years 5 months ago #418

• Electrichicken
My White hen started setting, lets see if I get a better hatch rate from her. I betting she will do better or at least that's what I hope.

Re: Setting Hens 6 years 5 months ago #433

• Felix
  • Expert Boarder
I let all my hens sit there eggs after I pick up a dozen or two off of them. I have 4 hens on the nest right now. I pack as many eggs as she can cover under her also.

Re: Setting Hens 6 years 5 months ago #436

• Electrichicken
She has a whopping 5 eggs under her, but that's fine with me. I am going to have to build several more pens as it is.

Re: Setting Hens 6 years 5 months ago #441

• Felix
  • Expert Boarder
I have a little Blue Quail hen sitting on 14 eggs right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrichicken

Re: Setting Hens 6 years 4 months ago #925

• currahee
  • Platinum Boarder
I shutting my bator off in 3 days last hatch is down But before I started tossing the eggs I had four hens go settin so what the heck each hen has 8 eggs under them .... candled them last night .... 4 bad eggs out of 32 LOL go figure......

Re: Setting Hens 6 years 4 months ago #926

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
I got some Columbian Wyandotte bantams and I will probably keep a few females just for setting eggs under. The Wyandotte is an amazing setter and will hold a nest seems like forever if you remove them 2 days before due and just hatch them in incubator. Have done this and when I removed eggs I place fresh ones under her and had her hold the nest for 4 to 5 settings before busting her off.

Re: Setting Hens 6 years 4 months ago #929

• currahee
  • Platinum Boarder
My papa would do that all the time when I was a kid ....Kjun I've seen him take the eggs out as they were pickin put them under an ol game hen for her to hatch and care for and reset the cochen hen again and again... The last hatchin though she would keep... He said she deserved it LOL

Re: Setting Hens 6 years 4 months ago #1069

• Felix
  • Expert Boarder
I have miniature Americanuas, Miniature Rhode Island Reds, and Miniature Barred Rocks, there main purpose in life is incubators and stand in mothers. I sell my older birds all off after hatching season and keep chicks to use next year. they work great and I can't touch their hatch rates
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.741 seconds