Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: humidity

humidity 5 years 9 months ago #4840

• silver2
  • Expert Boarder
what should the humidity run in your incubator and should it increase when time to hatch..........
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: humidity 5 years 9 months ago #4841

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
If your humidity was good throughout incubation I never felt the need to increase at hatching time.Hatching small batches you will probably not see a change in humidity at hatching time but with a large batch of eggs all hatching at the same time and chicks drying off you will naturally see a slight increase.I run my run my humidity near 50% most of the time and it works for me.

Re: humidity 5 years 9 months ago #4842

• Blood54
  • Expert Boarder
I have increased my hatch rate by putting a low profile plastic bowl with a gqf sponge in the bowl. I fill it with water and put it under the bottom tray the last 3 days. Chicks pop out of the shell like popcorn LOL.
Ronnie Youngblood

Re: humidity 5 years 9 months ago #4844

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
Conditions vary around the country on incubation so there is no set standard that will work best for everyone. The general practice is to keep humidity at about 50%-55% during the first eighteen days and increase to about 65% for the last three days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kcmodena

Re: humidity 5 years 9 months ago #4847

• Blood54
  • Expert Boarder
Barry is right the humidity varies around the country and also during the seasons. You have to try the things people suggest and see what works for you and your incubator. In every incubator the circulation is different also so you might need humidity close to the eggs like I do. My GQF has a large fan and moves a lot of air. I can't afford a incubator and hatcher. I have the big wooden hatcher so I turn by hand. My last 2 hatches was 100 percent of fertile eggs but it took me a few months of trying different things to get it there. So don't be afraid to try different things is my best advise.
Ronnie Youngblood
The following user(s) said Thank You: kcmodena

Re: humidity 5 years 9 months ago #4851

• silver2
  • Expert Boarder
thank yal for all the info it will help ...

Re: humidity 5 years 9 months ago #4855

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
Sounds like you have gotten a real handle on incubation Blood54! Congratulations on those great hatches! Mine don't average that good...generally around 80-85% of fertile eggs and that is using a hatcher.

Re: humidity 5 years 8 months ago #5069

• silver2
  • Expert Boarder
Help I have a cabinet type incubator and the temp is set at 99.9 and the humidity is running about 62 to 66 and eggs are not hatching like they should dieing in shell I know this could be several things so Ill take all the input I can get to try to help get this problem solved....Thanks Allen
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by silver2. Reason: misspelling

Re: humidity 5 years 8 months ago #5079

• Electrichicken
Raise the humidity to 80% this increased my hatch rate.

Re: humidity 5 years 8 months ago #5080

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello Allen,
You did not tell us wether your humidity has been consistantly at 62-66% throughout the entire incubation period or if it was that for the final three days. That will make a big difference in your hatch. If the humidity is too high during the first 18 days, then the air cell will not expand and the chick will drown in the shell.
Eggs need a little dehydration during the first 18 days to hatch properly. Try to keep your humidity at or near 50% during this time.
What I suspect is that your are getting an incorrect reading on your hygrometer. I use a wet bulb hygrometer that can be bought at Smith's Poultry Supply and these are fairly accurate. If you are already using a wet bulb type, then you may have a dirty wick and it should be changed. Also, use only distilled water in the wet bulb to keep your wick cleaner. I have several digital hygrometers and find that they are not very accurate.
Once you are sure that your humidity reading is fairly accurate, then you should increase your humidity to about 65% for the last three days of incubation.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Barry.
Time to create page: 0.824 seconds