Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Helping Chicks Hatch

Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 3 months ago #9591

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
How many people help out chicks that fail to completely hatch? I do in certain circumstances. If the chick is almost hatched but stuck, then I'll help it. I find that these chicks are usually late hatchers and are generally weak but I've saved a great many birds like this.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Barry.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 3 months ago #9596

• TRACY
  • Platinum Boarder
THE BB RED FEMALE LINE IN MY CASE THERE WOULDN'T BE ONE IF I DIDN'T HELP THEM GETTING OUT OF THE EGG IN MOST CASES.

Re: Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 3 months ago #9597

• DHBantams
  • Senior Boarder
I will help mine out if the egg is cracked all the way around.

Re: Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 2 months ago #10522

• robjesup88
  • Expert Boarder
It's very hard NOT to help them hatch sometimes but over all i think it's best not to.. A few yrs back i had a family of female line Blacks and if i had not helped 60-70% of them hatch out i wouldn't have gotten very many. But i feel i did more harm then i did good by helping them because in return they were very weak birds...

Re: Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 2 months ago #10524

• Okiebantams
  • Gold Boarder
Seems like to me the ones I help out usually die anyway. It's hard to not help them out though at times.

Re: Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 2 months ago #10525

• Ricky Griffin
  • Senior Boarder
how long after they pip would you help them out,I have female line bb' that are fertile and they pip out but all have died so far,they just get a hole through the egg and that's it..
Ricky Griffin
Trenton,TX
972-533-1873
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Ricky Griffin.

Re: Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 2 months ago #10526

• silver2
  • Expert Boarder
Im having trouble with with them hatching dieing in shell the one that pip come out with no problem but thats maybe about a third of them loosing alot of biddies I can put any other kind of egg in there and get about a 80 to 90 percent hatch rate verylost on the problem temp and humidity is good some people say that the old english is te hardest birds to hatch out whats yalls opion on this..

Re: Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 2 months ago #10527

• robjesup88
  • Expert Boarder
Ricky Griffin wrote:
how long after they pip would you help them out,I have female line bb' that are fertile and they pip out but all have died so far,they just get a hole through the egg and that's it..

On my Blacks fertility was not so good. Once they started to pip i noticed it would take well over 24 hours for the shell to even resemble a normal hatching egg and even then the shell wouldn't be cracked but about 1/4-1/2 way around the egg. At first i would just leave them in but most would just die in the shell,it was like they didn't have the strength to kick out of the shell.That's when i started helping them

Re: Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 2 months ago #10529

• Okiebantams
  • Gold Boarder
Ricky, I raised female line bbs myself for about 5 years and the last couple of years I used cochin hens to hatch them and had my best hatches. Hen line bbs seem to be super fragile but setting them under hens really helps

Re: Helping Chicks Hatch 4 years 2 months ago #10534

• silver2
  • Expert Boarder
??
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.474 seconds