Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dubbing

Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1162

• Electrichicken
I have seen a lot of different dubs on birds from smooth to the skull and high and rounded. I have dubbed a lot of birds in my life, mostly large game that didn't take much though in the process, so I could definitely benefit from some experienced OEGB breeders opinions on the proper technique for dubbing for show purposes. I will post a few pictures for critique once they have healed up and would like to see some pictures of others good and bad.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1164

• Del
  • Expert Boarder
In last years year book there is a chart for those that want to look at it. Very helpful for those first timers.
Raising and Exhibiting BB Red Male Line, BTB Male Line.
Joshua 24:15 ... But as for me and my house we will serve the LORD !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrichicken

Re: Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1249

• tater
you can see a line uder the comb, dub there, if its to high for your liking, you can redo it later. but if you trim to low, sol!!!!!

Re: Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1254

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
Some people trim high and some trim low. I like a low trim. Be sure the edges are rounded and not squared.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrichicken

Re: Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1259

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Each person has their preferred style of cut. For me I preferr a short cut but there are times a longer cut is necessary. If a bird has a narrow snakey head a taller cut will help the appearance. I also like the cut from front to back to be straight. I see alot of them rounded as to follow the contour of the head. My method is to remove comb is in 3 steps. First remove the blade by starting the cut directly above the point where the comb is attached to the skull and cutting that straight down. I sometimes see people leave a little behind the point of attachment and think this looks horrible. After removing the blade I go approximately 1/4 to 5/16 above the skull and cut a straight line from there to the very base of the beak. This is another area I have seen people mess up by leaving it a little high in the front and not cut down to the base of the beak. The final step is rounding off the tip in the rear slightly. Another mistake I think people make is when removing blade and don't start the cut directly over the point of attachment. Instead they start a little behind or a little ahead of the point and the rear of the comb winds up with either a forwrd or a backward slope to the cut and not straight down. I guess in the end though is cut it the way you like it. We don't all have the same likes and dislikes so perhaps there are no right or wrong ways. Just different.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by kjundog.

Re: Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1262

• Del
  • Expert Boarder
Good post Wayne, like others i've dubbed game birds. I'll be dubbing some this weekend hopefully. I've done my studying and looking at birds that have been dubbed so I think I'll be fine. After their healed up I'll post some pics.

Re: Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1267

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
I prefer a dub that conforms to the slope of the head. I have no help in dubbing so I'm going to build myself a dubbing harness this year to hold them. That will help a lot.

Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1271

• Del
  • Expert Boarder
Just wondering if anyone has used any silver nitrate sticks for dubbing?

Re: Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1281

• tater
We use curved scissors to cut the wrinkles out. be sure to go back and check after dubbing and healed up,that all the white is out of the lopes,one little speck can make the differance in BV or last place. seen alot of really good birds with really bad dub jobs.

Dubbing 6 years 5 months ago #1285

• Del
  • Expert Boarder
I work at a veterinary clinic and I ordered a curved and strait stainless steel scissors. They'll be good'n sharp.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds