Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Entry Fees?

Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12008

• scratch
  • Platinum Boarder
Because show season is upon us again,I thought I would start this thread. What is the consensus on entry fees across the country and do you think this effects the #s in a show? Is it worth it to go up on entry fees so you can have added money or would the entry numbers be higher if you cut out all the bells and whistles, kept the entry low, and just had a chicken show? I believe in the past here in Oklahoma I have paid from $2 to $3 per bird. What are you guys paying in the east. I know with gas prices and everything else going up, I may have to limit myself to how many shows I can go to and also how many birds I will be able to enter. What are your thoughts on this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12009

• CHOCTAW
  • Gold Boarder
I have looked at this in several ways . I can understand some peoples thinking on the reason for entry fees going up but I think in the long run the numbers will go down, As a person that is retired and on a fixed income I have to way all the expenses of the shows gas, lodging , food and then see if it is worth it. I for one if the fees continue to go up I will make less shows, show less birds and and I do show RQ which is not recognised, thoes days are over. where I usually show 20 I will now show 10 or less . Do we want more birds which means more points or less, I know I am only one frog in the pond.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scratch

Re: Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12011

• tater britt
  • Expert Boarder
the jamboree pays over 750.00 for the building rent and add in two judges, plus awards, your over 2000.00. just to break even we have to have a 1000 birds. now we can get the same local judges year after year and cut out all the bells and whistles but it's the JAMBOREE the largest all OE show in the world!!!!

Re: Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12012

• scratch
  • Platinum Boarder
tater the jamboree is what I consider 1 of maybe 3 of the most prestigious shows of the year. My focus was on the shows in general that happen in between weekends of the jamboree and the nationals.
I haven't looked at the catalog, how much is the entry fee at the Jamboree.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by scratch.

Re: Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12014

• NorTexFF
  • Expert Boarder
I know from experience, we had a show that went in the hole financially last year. But, we tried to have some of the nicest awards that we could find. With judges fees, hotels and other expenses like paper, printing and postage the funds run out quickly! We want to put on a quality show and from listening to other exhibitors, they wanted prizes. It was also said that "money lasts until we get to the store."
It seems that while the majority of shows have gone away from the trophies, plaques and ribbons, we still have a large number of the exhibitors who want those prizes to show off.
Our show is coming up and I would like to hear feedback.

Re: Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12015

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Brad, Speaking for myself, I never look at what they give away as a reason to show. Trophys are dust collectors and money means nothin to me. I go to shows I think are well run and nice. Good folks and friendly atmosphere is always an attraction. Good food also helps. Like I said this is only the way I feel and probably others like the awards. Also entry fees is not a deterent as I have put on shows and well know the cost. Charge what you must but make the show a nice one that people will enjoy and the word will get out and they will come. If the show you are referring to is Atoka, I have heard alot of good things and plan to make it this year even if I don't have anything ready to show I will be there to visit with old friends and meet a few new ones. Looking forward to seeing you again and those awesome wheatens.

Re: Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12016

• nutens
  • Senior Boarder
When entry fees go up, the entries do go down. Most people will only spend a certain amount. There are others who seem to have unlimited amounts of cash but they are a minority. Prizes are nice but in the long run end up in boxes or discarded. The future of the shows is in doubt. Until the AI restrictions become uniform and testing is readily available to all, numbers will continue the trend of the past year and dwindle. For example, last year's Jamboree was the smallest I have EVER seen. The building was EMPTY.

Re: Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12017

• TRACY
  • Platinum Boarder
ALL THINGS WILL GO UP BECAUSE OF THE HIGH COST OF BLDGS AWARDS MOTELS JUDGING PLUS OTHERS.I LIVE SO FAR AWAY FROM MOST SHOWS I AM LOOKING AT SEVERAL HUNDRED BUCKS EVERYTIME I SHOW.SOME TIMES I WONDER WHY I DO IT.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by TRACY.

Re: Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12018

• ronsmith9809
  • Expert Boarder
My expereance is in pigeons and I have seen many pigeon clubs foldup from several diferent reasons but the number 1 reason was shows became so small that it was a waste of time and money to put them on, the reason was that small shows tryed to charge close to or as much for entrys as the larger shows, when that happend the amount of entrys droped and the downward sprial led to closing the show.
Clubs need to re think what is best for their shows,
1 first priorty is to make their show desirable for exhibitors to attend, If you do this your show will grow.
Keep Entry fees at the bare min.
Start with more local judges then as revenues and show entrys increase, choose a few judges that are more in demand.
Awards keep them at a min. Only the big dogs make any money anyway.
#1 most important thing you can do for your clubs show is beat the bushes go to area motels , Chamber of commerce, feed companys, stores, for donations, ask breeders to put up awards for their varitys. If you put a dollor figure in front of the local Chamber of Commerce when you visit them they will see where the comuinity can benefit and they will be more inclined to help,
Everyone likes raffles and can be a big money maker for the club, purchase products from a poultry supply and use that,use donated bags of feed, a nice carring box would be wonderful to win, A coupon for a free buger from a fast food chain, use your Imagenation.
In the end try to remember this a HOBBY not a busness, YOUR HOBBY make it grow.

Re: Entry Fees? 4 years 3 months ago #12022

• okie1
  • Gold Boarder
I know I adjust my entries by the amount of the fees, especially if I have to get a motel. I do think the awards are nice, I know a lot of guys enjoy them, especially the ones that are fairly new to the sport. I enjoy the few that I have won. It is kinda, dang if you do and dang if you don't. What I really enjoy about the shows is getting to visit with a lot of guys that enjoy the birds as much as I do. I have made a lot of friends since I started showing, and that in itself is very satisfying to me. :)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds