Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Conditioning Tips

Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #1864

• duckwing4
  • Fresh Boarder
i was looking for some help with conditioning i've been showing in junior shows for about 3 years now and doing pretty decent but my conditioning could use some work.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Harleyman

Re: Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #1868

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
Conditioning covers a big araea. What areas you lookin to improve. Feather quality, body conditioning, plumage lustre, clean up and show preparation etc.

Re: Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #1878

• tater
hey duckwing 4, your birds need to be singled out. that helps in the damage control, if the birds have damage, now is the time to correct it. next thing would be dubbing, after that, spray with frountline to keep the bugs off. keep your birds with plenty of fresh water and feed and wait and wait and wait and wait for the birds to finish. keep in mind your going to cull during this time, not all birds are keepers!! when you get those chosen few, take the best care possible of them.

Re: Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #1881

• duckwing4
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks tater, and kjundog mostly feather quality and show preparation.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by duckwing4.

Re: Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #1882

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
For feather quality. Tater is dead on target with his advise. It is environment that will determine this along with quality feed and water. Lack of competition for feed and space by singling birds out will make your efforts more effective. A main taik or sickle feathers takes about 13 weeks to come back in and be finished so look ahead and plan for show date.Parasite and rodent control are also important. Last year just before the national I got lazy and had a mouse problem. Had to leave my best BB males home because a mouse took a bite out of the tip of a main sickle while the bird was on the roost. So pay attention to this.

As far as show preparation. Well if you can keep the plumage clean and don't have to wash then don't. A good wipe down at the time you are preparing birds may be all that is needed Old English need that hard feather look and bathing will soften that, Whites on the other hand do need to be washed but do this at least 4 days before show then try like heck to keep it clean. Trim beaks where upper mandible is even with lower mandible and also trim toenails. Check shanks and toes for leg stubble and remove with your fingernail. Taming and training are also a big part of show preparations. Handle birds often so they become accustom to it. A bird that flys up and hits the top of the cage whena judge reaches in will just about seal it's own fate as far as placings go. Hope these tips help and good luck this show season. Just remeber all the conditioning in the world won't put something there that the bird does not have to begin with. All we do is allow him to be the best it can be that is in him. It all starts in the breeding pen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: preacherrusty

Re: Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #1884

• duckwing4
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks kjundog thats great advice i've been singling out some of my young birds that look promising and about the breeding you're right you can't make a champion out of a bird that just doesn't have it.

Re: Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #2073

• aba331
Have any of you tried soaked grains? I started feeding my birds a soaked wheat and oat mixture several about a month ago (also I keep crumbles before them at all times). They seem to be looking good using this method. I let these grains soak for about 3 days before I feed them. I tried this after talking to a old cocker. He said that this would help with new feather growth.

Re: Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #2074

• bantam
  • Junior Boarder
Ive done the soaked oats, but never done the wheat.

Re: Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #2077

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
aba331 wrote:
Have any of you tried soaked grains? I started feeding my birds a soaked wheat and oat mixture several about a month ago (also I keep crumbles before them at all times). They seem to be looking good using this method. I let these grains soak for about 3 days before I feed them. I tried this after talking to a old cocker. He said that this would help with new feather growth.
I worked for a "old cocker" for a few years and its what he did. The oats soaked for about 3 days and he would mix it in their feed. Heck, we fish with it. We call it sour mash and it really attracts the catfish. LOL

Re: Conditioning Tips 5 years 8 months ago #2080

• tater
wheat with a little red cell and water
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds