Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Washing Birds

Washing Birds 6 years 4 months ago #312

• Electrichicken
I want to get a head start on learning the proper technique of washing my birds in preparation for shows and want to practice on a couple. What do you use and how do you go about washing a chicken?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Washing Birds 6 years 4 months ago #361

• Tim_Neves
  • Senior Boarder
Ive seen it different ways. Dipping birds in 2 different tubs, one for soap and 1 for rinsing.

a concoction in a tub that coats and washes the birds..

I prefer to use miracle groom a horse product, I spray each section and scrub. dries faster than water and has conditioner in it..

Re: Washing Birds 6 years 4 months ago #579

• Electrichicken
Tim_Neves wrote:
Ive seen it different ways. Dipping birds in 2 different tubs, one for soap and 1 for rinsing.

I prefer to use miracle groom a horse product, I spray each section and scrub. dries faster than water and has conditioner in it..

When you say Scrub do you actually scrub the feathers?

Re: Washing Birds 6 years 4 months ago #580

• Tim_Neves
  • Senior Boarder
Yes I scrub them in the same direction .

Re: Washing Birds 6 years 3 months ago #1099

• Electrichicken
I did a test run on one of my birds using a soap solution in warm water and rinsing in a slight less warm tub of water. I washed and scrubbed him and used a towl to soak as much of the water out of him. It was a sunny day so I just put him out in a drop pen, but he was not looking so good and was shivering so I took him in a used a blow drier, once he was dry he perked right up. The feathers looked a little rough but the nex day he looked great. Any pointers on drying would be apreciated as well as anything else you may see that I did wrong.

Re: Washing Birds 6 years 1 month ago #2248

• Electrichicken
Tim_Neves wrote:

Where do you buy Miracle Groom?

Re: Washing Birds 6 years 1 month ago #2253

• genamc01
  • Senior Boarder
I use three buckets. One with ivory liquid soap, one with vinager, snd one with plain water. I hold them in a towel for a few minutes then put them in the pen. I don't let them dry in a wire pen. By the next day they look real good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrichicken

Re: Washing Birds 6 years 1 month ago #2255

• tater
we like to wash them, dry some of the water off, then place them in a box with clean shavings. let them stay inside over night. put them back in the pens that have shavings. you needed to do this at least a week before the show.

Re: Washing Birds 4 years 6 months ago #9963

• sport
  • Fresh Boarder
I like to wash 2 to 3 days before the show. It gives them more time to groom. Then you can touch-up before the show.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.606 seconds