Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
These forums are provided as a service to the members of the OEGBCA as well as our guests. In order to post to these forums you must be a member of the OEGBCA and register on this site. The administrator will then receive an email to authorize you, I will compare the info you entered against the member list to verify membership within the club. These forums will be moderated at the discretion of the offical moderators and administrator. Be nice and keep it clean!
Please do not post classified adds in the forums, use the classifieds instead.

TOPIC: Cocks or Cockerels?

Re: Cocks or Cockerels? 4 years 10 months ago #8254

• scratch
  • Platinum Boarder
Mr. Cryar, I respect your comments and I would like to relay to you that I did not start this thread with an agenda on how to cheat at a show. I am not interested in that at all.
What I witnessed at the last show I attended (January show) was one exhibitor showed 2 cockerels and the judge disqualified them for being cocks? The exhibitor stated that the birds in question were indeed cockerels, but none-the-less they were still disqualified.
Also, some may say look at the spurs but I have two families of birds that are of the same variety and a bird from one family even though he may be 2 - 3 months younger, their spurs out grow the other family by a large degree?
Just food for thought?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cocks or Cockerels? 4 years 10 months ago #8255

• BackInBlack
  • Gold Boarder
Exactly scratch he got screwed on that part his birds were 9 months old and go DQ and the guy is super honest and wouldn't lie

Re: Cocks or Cockerels? 4 years 10 months ago #8256

• gcryar
  • Senior Boarder
I understand where you guys are comming from. Way back in the 1980s, I had a good male line of whites. I had some 8 month ckls dqed for age because their "spurs were set." I questioned the judge and he stated that if their spurs were set solid on the legs, they were cocks. I asked him about the one with one spur set and the other still loose. He could not answer. It was many years before I showed under that judge again. Judges should judge by the standard, not their particular likes, dislikes or beliefs.

Play fair, and be honest. You know the age of your birds; the judge, in many cases, can only guess or take your word.

Glen Cryar

Re: Cocks or Cockerels? 4 years 10 months ago #8257

• kjundog
  • Platinum Boarder
I guess I am too trusting and believe a man doesn't lie. I also believe when in doubt the bird should get the benefit of the doubt.I got a two and a half year old Columbian cock that spur never developed beyond a half inch long but you can look at him and tell he is a cock.

Re: Cocks or Cockerels? 4 years 10 months ago #8262

• tater
some of our birds come back with a lot of feather, they look like cockerels

Re: Cocks or Cockerels? 4 years 10 months ago #8291

• Barry
  • Platinum Boarder
A cock is a male 12 months old or older and a cockerel is a male under 12 months old. Its up to the exhibitor to honestly enter his birds according to their age.

Re: Cocks or Cockerels? 4 years 10 months ago #8306

I was in a situation with one of my son's birds this year. He entered a Cockeral in a show and then realized he should have entered a Cock bird. He told me that he was going to show the Cock in the Cockerals place. After he and I discussed the situation, I left the ball in his court ( I was not going to let him do it !!!!!! ). After thinking about it, he comes to me and says, it would be cheating and that is not right. I am going to show the Cockeral. Should there should be a standard on seamless leg bands??? If the bird was hatched off in 2013 this bird could be shown as a Cockeral or Pullet thru May (2014) of the next year????? But I do know that there would be a lot of questions and concerns on this as well. I hate that people get a DG on birds that develop faster than others. Honestly is the best policy!!!
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds